42 CFR 422.2260 - Definitions concerning marketing materials.
As used in this subpart -
Marketing materials. Marketing materials include any informational materials targeted to Medicare beneficiaries which:
(1) Promote the MA organization, or any MA plan offered by the MA organization.
(2) Inform Medicare beneficiaries that they may enroll, or remain enrolled in, an MA plan offered by the MA organization.
(3) Explain the benefits of enrollment in an MA plan, or rules that apply to enrollees.
(4) Explain how Medicare services are covered under an MA plan, including conditions that apply to such coverage.
(5) May include, but are not limited to, the following:
(i) General audience materials such as general circulation brochures, newspapers, magazines, television, radio, billboards, yellow pages, or the Internet.
(ii) Marketing representative materials such as scripts or outlines for telemarketing or other presentations.
(iii) Presentation materials such as slides and charts.
(iv) Promotional materials such as brochures or leaflets, including materials for circulation by third parties (for example, physicians or other providers).
(v) Membership communication materials such as membership rules, subscriber agreements, member handbooks and wallet card instructions to enrollees.
(vi) Letters to members about contractual changes; changes in providers, premiums, benefits, plan procedures etc.
(vii) Membership activities (for example, materials on rules involving non-payment of premiums, confirmation of enrollment or disenrollment, or nonclaim specific notification information). -
(6) Marketing materials exclude ad hoc enrollee communications materials, meaning informational materials that -
(i) Are targeted to current enrollees;
(ii) Are customized or limited to a subset of enrollees or apply to a specific situation;
(iii) Do not include information about the plan's benefit structure; and
(iv) Apply to a specific situation or cover claims processing or other operational issues.