42 CFR § 422.324 - Payments to MA organizations for graduate medical education costs.
(a) MA organizations may receive direct graduate medical education payments for the time that residents spend in non-hospital provider settings such as freestanding clinics, nursing homes, and physicians' offices in connection with approved programs.
(1) The resident spends his or her time assigned to patient care activities.
(3) There is a written agreement between the MA organization and the non-hospital site that indicates the MA organization will incur the costs of the resident's salary and fringe benefits and provide reasonable compensation to the non-hospital site for teaching activities.
(1) Residents' salaries and fringe benefits (including travel and lodging where applicable); and
(2) Reasonable compensation to the non-hospital site for teaching activities related to the training of medical residents.
(d) The direct graduate medical education payment is equal to the product of -
(1) The lower of -
(ii) The national average per resident amount; and
(2) Medicare's share, which is equal to the ratio of the number of Medicare beneficiaries enrolled to the total number of individuals enrolled in the MA organization.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.