42 CFR 422.506 - Nonrenewal of contract.
(a)Nonrenewal by an MA organization.
(1) An MA organization may elect not to renew its contract with CMS as of the end of the term of the contract for any reason provided it meets the timeframes for doing so set forth in paragraphs (a)(2) and (a)(3) of this section.
(2) If an MA organization does not intend to renew its contract, it must notify -
(i)CMS in writing, by the first Monday in June of the year in which the contract would end;
(ii) Each Medicare enrollee by mail at least 90 calendar days before the date on which the nonrenewal is effective. The MA organization must also provide information about alternative enrollment options by doing one or more of the following:
(B) Place outbound calls to all affected enrollees to ensure beneficiaries know who to contact to learn about their enrollment options.
(ii) Acceptance is not inconsistent with the effective and efficient administration of the Medicare program.
(4) If an MA organization does not renew a contract under paragraph (a) of this section, CMS may deny an application for a new contract or a service area expansion from the MA organization for 2 years unless there are circumstances that warrant special consideration, as determined by CMS. This prohibition may apply regardless of the product type, contract type or service area of the previous contract.
(5) During the same 2-year period as specified in paragraph (a)(4) of this section, CMS will not contract with an organization whose covered persons also served as covered persons for the non-renewing sponsor. A “covered person” as used in this paragraph means one of the following:
(i) All owners of nonrenewed or terminated organizations who are natural persons, other than shareholders who have an ownership interest of less than 5 percent.
(ii) An owner in whole or part interest in any mortgage, deed of trust, note or other obligation secured (in whole or in part) by the organization, or any of the property or assets thereof, which whole or part interest is equal to or exceeds 5 percent of the total property, and assets of the organization.
(iii) A member of the board of directors or board of trustees of the entity, if the organization is organized as a corporation.
(b)CMS decision not to renew.
(1)CMS may elect not to authorize renewal of a contract for any of the following reasons:
(i) To the MA organization by August 1 of the contract year.
(ii) To each of the MA organization's Medicare enrollees by mail at least 90 calendar days before the date on which the nonrenewal is effective, or at the conclusion of the appeals process if applicable.
(3)Opportunity to develop and implement a corrective action plan.
(i) Before providing a notice of intent of nonrenewal of the contract, CMS will provide the MA organization with notice specifying the MA organization's deficiencies and a reasonable opportunity of at least 30 calendar days to develop and implement a corrective action plan to correct the deficiencies.
(ii) The MA organization is solely responsible for the identification, development, and implementation of its corrective action plan and for demonstrating to CMS that the underlying deficiencies have been corrected within the time period specified by CMS in the notice requesting corrective action.
Title 42 published on 2015-11-28
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 42 CFR Part 422 after this date.
- 42 CFR 422.660 — Right to a Hearing, Burden of Proof, Standard of Proof, and Standards of Review.
- 42 CFR 422.756 — Procedures for Imposing Intermediate Sanctions and Civil Money Penalties.
- 42 CFR 422.74 — Disenrollment by the MA Organization.
- 42 CFR 422.502 — Evaluation and Determination Procedures.
- 42 CFR 422.641 — Contract Determinations.
- 42 CFR 422.503 — General Provisions.
Title 42 published on 2015-11-28.
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 42.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.