42 CFR 423.1042 - Hearing on new issues.
(a) Basic rules.
(1) Within the time limits specified in paragraph (b) of this section, the ALJ may, at the request of either party, or on his or her own motion, provide a hearing on new issues that impinge on the rights of the affected party.
(2) The ALJ may consider new issues even if CMS has not made initial determinations on them, and even if they arose after the request for hearing was filed or after a prehearing conference.
(3) The ALJ may give notice of hearing on new issues at any time after the hearing request is filed and before the hearing record is closed.
(b) Notice and conduct of hearing on new issues.
(1) Unless the affected party waives its right to appear and present evidence, notice of the time and place of hearing on any new issue will be given to the parties in accordance with 423.1036.
(2) After giving notice, the ALJ will, except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, proceed to hearing on new issues in the same manner as on an issue raised in the request for hearing.
(c) Remand to CMS. At the request of either party, or on his or her own motion, in lieu of a hearing under paragraph (b) of this section, the ALJ may remand the case to CMS for consideration of the new issue and, if appropriate, a determination. If necessary, the ALJ may direct CMS to return the case to the ALJ for further proceedings.