42 CFR 426.531 - Board's review of the NCD to apply the reasonableness standard.
(a) Required steps. The Board must do the following to review the provision(s) listed in the aggrieved party's complaint based on the reasonableness standard:
(1) Confine the NCD review to the provision(s) of the NCD raised in the aggrieved party's complaint.
(2) Conduct a hearing unless the matter can be decided on the written record.
(3) Close the NCD review record to the taking of evidence.
(4) Treat as precedential any previous Board decision made under § 426.547 that involves the same NCD provision(s), same specific issue and facts in question, and the same clinical conditions.
(5) Issue a decision as described in § 426.547.
(b) Optional steps. The Board may consult with appropriate scientific or clinical experts concerning clinical and scientific evidence to apply the reasonableness standard to the provision(s) listed in the aggrieved party's complaint.
(c) Authority for the Board in NCD reviews when applying the reasonableness standard. In applying the reasonableness standard to a provision (or provisions) of an NCD, the Board must follow all applicable laws and regulations, as well as NCDs other than the one under review.