§ 488.320 Sanctions for inadequate survey performance.
(a)Annual assessment of survey performance. CMS assesses the performance of the State's survey and certification program annually.
(b)Sanctions for inadequate survey performance. When a State demonstrates inadequate survey performance, as specified in § 488.318, CMS notifies the survey agency of the inadequacy and takes action in accordance with paragraphs (c) and (d) of this section.
(1) For a pattern of failure to identify deficiencies in Medicaid facilities, CMS -
(i) Reduces FFP, as specified in paragraph (e) of this section, and if appropriate;
(ii) Provides for training of survey teams.
(2) For other survey inadequacies in Medicaid facilities, CMS provides for training of survey teams.
(d)Medicare facilities. For all survey inadequacies in Medicare facilities, CMS -
(1) Requires that the State survey agency submit a plan of correction;
(2) Provides for training of survey teams;
(3) Provides technical assistance on scheduling and procedural policies;
(4) Provides CMS-directed scheduling; or
(5) Initiates action to terminate the agreement between the Secretary and the State under section 1864 of the Act, either in whole or in part.
(e)Reduction of FFP. In reducing FFP for inadequate survey performance, CMS uses the formula specified in section 1919(g)(3)(C) of the Act, that is 33 percent multiplied by a fraction -
(1) The numerator of which is equal to the total number of residents in the NFs that CMS found to be noncompliant during validation surveys for that quarter; and
(2) The denominator of which is equal to the total number of residents in the NFs in which CMS conducted validation surveys during that quarter.
(f)Appeal of FFP reduction. When a State is dissatisfied with CMS's determination to reduce FFP, the State may appeal the determination to the Departmental Appeals Board, using the procedures specified in 45 CFR part 16.