§ 488.606 Alternative sanctions.
Basis for application of alternative sanctions.
CMS may, as an alternative to termination of Medicare coverage, impose one of the sanctions specified in paragraph (b) of this section if CMS finds that -
(1) The supplier fails to participate in the activities and pursue the goals of the ESRD network that is designated to encompass the supplier's geographic area; and
(2) This failure does not jeopardize patient health and safety.
Alternative sanctions. The alternative sanctions that CMS may apply in the circumstances specified in paragraph (a) of this section include the following:
(1) Denial of payment for services furnished to patients first accepted for care after the effective date of the sanction as specified in the sanction notice.
(2) Reduction of payments, for all ESRD services furnished by the supplier, by 20 percent for each 30-day period after the effective date of the sanction.
(3) Withholding of all payments, without interest, for all ESRD services furnished by the supplier to Medicare beneficiaries.
Duration of alternative sanction. An alternative sanction remains in effect until CMS finds that the supplier is in substantial compliance with the requirement to cooperate in the network plans and goals, or terminates coverage of the supplier's services for lack of compliance.