42 CFR 491.5 - Location of clinic.
(i)Permanent unit. The objects, equipment, and supplies necessary for the provision of the services furnished directly by the clinic or center are housed in a permanent structure.
(ii)Mobile unit. The objects, equipment, and supplies necessary for the provision of the services furnished directly by the clinic or center are housed in a mobile structure, which has fixed, scheduled location(s).
(iii)Permanent unit in more than one location. If clinic or center services are furnished at permanent units in more than one location, each unit is independently considered for approval as a rural health clinic or for approval as an FQHC.
(2) A private, nonprofit facility that meets all other conditions of this subpart except for location in a shortage area will be certified if, on July 1, 1977, it was operating in a rural area that is determined by the Secretary (on the basis of the ratio of primary care physicians to the general population) to have an insufficient supply of physicians to meet the needs of the area served.
(c)Criteria for designation of rural areas.
(2) Excluded from the rural area classification are:
(i) Central cities of 50,000 inhabitants or more;
(ii) Cities with at least 25,000 inhabitants which, together with contiguous areas having stipulated population density, have combined populations of 50,000 and constitute, for general economic and social purposes, single communities;
(iii) Closely settled territories surrounding cities and specifically designated by the Census Bureau as urban.
(3) Included in the rural area classification are those portions of extended cities that the Census Bureau has determined to be rural.
(d)Criteria for designation of shortage areas.
(1) The criteria for determination of shortage of personal health services (under section 1302(7) of the Public Health Services Act), are:
(ii) The infant mortality rate;
(iii) The percent of the population 65 years of age or older; and
(iv) The percent of the population with a family income below the poverty level.
(2) The criteria for determination of shortage of primary medical care manpower (under section 332(a)(1)(A) of the Public Health Services Act) are:
(e)Medically underserved population. A medically underserved population includes the following:
(1) A population of an urban or rural area that is designated by PHS as having a shortage of personal health services.
(2) A population group that is designated by PHS as having a shortage of personal health services.
(1) Furnish services to a medically underserved population.
(2) Be located in a medically underserved area, as demonstrated by an application approved by PHS.
Title 42 published on 2015-11-28
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 42 CFR Part 491 after this date.