42 CFR § 57.208 - Health professions student loan promissory note and disclosure requirements.
(a) Promissory note form. Each health professions student loan must be evidenced by a properly executed promissory note in a form approved by the Secretary. The school must safeguard the promissory note against fire, theft, and tampering.
(1) Each promissory note must state that the loan will bear interest on the unpaid balance computed only for periods during which repayment of the loan is required, at the rate of 5 percent per year.
(2) Each promissory note must contain an acceleration clause provided by the Secretary, which will permit the acceleration of delinquent loans at the school's option.
(3) A copy of each executed note must be supplied by the school to the student borrower.
(b) Security. A school must require security or endorsement if the borrower is a minor and if, under the applicable State law, the note signed by him or her would not create a binding obligation. The school may not require security or endorsement in any other circumstances.
(c) Disclosure requirements.
(1) For any loan made after June 30, 1986, the school shall, at the time the loan is made, provide the following loan information to the student:
(i) The yearly and cumulative maximum amounts that may be borrowed by the student;
(ii) The terms under which repayment of the loan will begin;
(iii) The maximum number of years in which the loan must be repaid;
(iv) The interest rate that will be paid by the borrower and the minimum amount of the required monthly payment;
(v) The amount of any other fees charged to the borrower by the lender;
(vi) Any options the borrower may have for deferral, cancellation, prepayment, consolidation, or other refinancing of the loan;
(vii) A definition of default on the loan and a specification of the consequences which will result to the borrower if the borrower defaults, including a description of any arrangements which may be made with credit bureau organizations;
(viii) To the extent practicable, the effect of accepting the loan on the eligibility of the borrower for other forms of student assistance; and
(ix) A description of the actions that may be taken by the Federal Government to collect the loan, including a description of the type of information concerning the borrower that the Federal Government may disclose to:
(A) Officers, employees, or agents of the Department of Health and Human Services,
(C) Any other person involved in the collection of a loan under this subpart.
(2) For any loan made after June 30, 1986, the school shall, prior to the borrower's completion or termination of studies at the school, provide the following loan information to the student:
(i) Each amount borrowed by the student under this subpart;
(ii) The total amount borrowed by the student under this subpart; and
(iii) A schedule for the repayment of the amounts borrowed under this subpart, including the number, amount, and frequency of payments to be made.
(3) In addition to the requirements set forth in paragraphs (c)(1) and (c)(2) of this section, the school must comply with the applicable requirements of Truth in Lending Regulation Z (12 CFR part 226).