42 CFR 73.4 - Overlap select agents and toxins.
(a) Except for exclusions under paragraphs (d) and (e) of this section, the HHS Secretary has determined that the biological agents and toxins listed in this section have the potential to pose a severe threat to public health and safety, to animal health, or to animal products. The select agents and toxins marked with an asterisk (*) are designated as Tier 1 select agents and toxins and are subject to additional requirements as listed in this part.
(b) Overlap select agents and toxins:
(c) Genetic Elements, Recombinant and/or Synthetic Nucleic Acids, and Recombinant and/or Synthetic Organisms:
(1) Nucleic acids that can produce infectious forms of any of the overlap select agent viruses listed in paragraph (b) of this section.
(i) Can be expressed in vivo or in vitro, or
(ii) Are in a vector or recombinant host genome and can be expressed in vivo or in vitro.
(d) Overlap select agents or toxins that meet any of the following criteria are excluded from the requirements of this part:
(1) Any overlap select agent or toxin that is in its naturally occurring environment provided that the select agent or toxin has not been intentionally introduced, cultivated, collected, or otherwise extracted from its natural source.
(2) Non-viable overlap select agents or nonfunctional overlap toxins.
(3) Any subtypes of Venezuelan equine encephalitis virus except for Subtypes IAB or IC provided that the individual or entity can identify that the agent is within the exclusion category.
(e) An attenuated strain of a select agent, or a select toxin modified to be less potent or toxic, may be excluded from the requirements of this part based upon a determination by the HHS Secretary that the attenuated strain or modified toxin does not pose a severe threat to public health and safety.
(1) To apply for exclusion, an individual or entity must submit a written request and supporting scientific information. A written decision granting or denying the request will be issued. An exclusion will be effective upon notification to the applicant. Exclusions will be listed on the National Select Agent Registry Web site at http://www.selectagents.gov/.
(2) If an excluded attenuated strain or modified toxin is subjected to any manipulation that restores or enhances its virulence or toxic activity, the resulting select agent or toxin will be subject to the requirements of this part.
(f) Any overlap select agent or toxin seized by a Federal law enforcement agency will be excluded from the requirements of this part during the period between seizure of the select agent or toxin and the transfer or destruction of such agent or toxin provided that:
(1) As soon as practicable, the Federal law enforcement agency transfers the seized select agent or toxin to an entity eligible to receive such agent or toxin or destroys the agent or toxin by a recognized sterilization or inactivation process,
(i) The seizure of Bacillus anthracis, Burkholderia mallei and Burkholderia pseudomallei must be reported within 24 hours by telephone, facsimile, or e-mail. This report must be followed by submission of APHIS/CDC Form 4 within seven calendar days after seizure of the overlap select agent or toxin.
(iii) A copy of APHIS/CDC Form 4 must be maintained for three years.
(4) The Federal law enforcement agency reports the final disposition of the overlap select agent or toxin by the submission of APHIS/CDC Form 4. A copy of the completed form must be maintained for three years.