42 CFR 93.407 - HHS administrative actions.
(a) In response to a research misconduct proceeding, HHS may impose HHS administrative actions that include but are not limited to:
(1) Clarification, correction, or retraction of the research record.
(2) Letters of reprimand.
(3) Imposition of special certification or assurance requirements to ensure compliance with applicable regulations or terms of PHS grants, contracts, or cooperative agreements.
(4) Suspension or termination of a PHS grant, contract, or cooperative agreement.
(5) Restriction on specific activities or expenditures under an active PHS grant, contract, or cooperative agreement.
(6) Special review of all requests for PHS funding.
(7) Imposition of supervision requirements on a PHS grant, contract, or cooperative agreement.
(8) Certification of attribution or authenticity in all requests for support and reports to the PHS.
(9) No participation in any advisory capacity to the PHS.
(10) Adverse personnel action if the respondent is a Federal employee, in compliance with relevant Federal personnel policies and laws.
(b) In connection with findings of research misconduct, HHS also may seek to recover PHS funds spent in support of the activities that involved research misconduct.
(c) Any authorized HHS component may impose, administer, or enforce HHS administrative actions separately or in coordination with other HHS components, including, but not limited to ORI, the Office of Inspector General, the PHS funding component, and the debarring official.