44 CFR 7.943 - Investigation.
(1) FEMA will investigate complaints that are unresolved after mediation or are reopened because of a violation of a mediation agreement.
(2) As part of the initial investigation, FEMA will use informal fact finding methods, including joint or separate discussion with the complainant and recipient, to establish the facts and, if possible, settle the complaint on terms that are mutually agreeable to the parties. FEMA may seek the assistance of any involved state agency.
(3) FEMA will put any agreement in writing and have it signed by the parties and an authorized official at FEMA.
(4) The settlement shall not affect the operation of any other enforcement effort of FEMA, including compliance reviews and investigation of other complaints which may involve the recipient.
(5) The settlement is not a finding of discrimination against a recipient.
(b)Formal investigation. If FEMA cannot resolve the complaint through informal investigation, it will begin to develop formal findings through further investigation of the complaint. If the investigation indicates a violation of this regulation, FEMA will attempt to obtain voluntary compliance, it will begin enforcement as described in § 7.945.