44 CFR § 9.2 - Policy.
(b) It is the policy of the Agency to provide leadership in floodplain management and the protection of wetlands. Further, the Agency shall integrate the goals of the Orders to the greatest possible degree into its procedures for implementing NEPA. The Agency shall take action to:
(3) Reduce the risk of flood loss;
(4) Promote the use of nonstructural flood protection methods to reduce the risk of flood loss;
(5) Minimize the impact of floods on human health, safety and welfare;
(10) Adhere to the objectives of the Unified National Program for Floodplain Management; and
(11) Improve and coordinate the Agency's plans, programs, functions and resources so that the Nation may attain the widest range of beneficial uses of the environment without degradation or risk to health and safety.