45 CFR 1203.3 - Definitions.
Unless the context requires otherwise, in this part:
(a) Applicant means a person who submits an application, request, or plan required to be approved by ACTION, or by a primary recipient, as a condition to eligibility for Federal financial assistance, and “application” means that application, request, or plan.
(b) Facility includes all or any part of structures, equipment, or other real or personal property or interests therein, and the provision of facilities includes the construction, expansion, renovation, remodeling, alteration, or acquisition of facilities.
(c) Federal financial assistance includes:
(1) Grants and loans of Federal funds;
(2) The grant or donation of Federal property and interests in property;
(3) The detail of Federal personnel;
(4) The sale and lease of, and the permission to use (on other than a casual or transient basis), Federal property or any interest in the property without consideration or at a nominal consideration, or at a consideration which is reduced for the purpose of assisting the recipient, or in recognition of the public interest to be served by the sale or lease to the recipient; and
(5) A Federal agreement, arrangement, or other contract which has as one of its purposes the provision of assistance.
(d) Primary recipient means a recipient that is authorized or required to extend Federal financial assistance to another recipient.
(e) Program or activity and program mean all of the operations of any entity described in paragraphs (e)(1) through (4) of this section, any part of which is extended Federal financial assistance:
(i) A department, agency, special purpose district, or other instrumentality of a State or of a local government; or
(ii) The entity of such State or local government that distributes such assistance and each such department or agency (and each other State or local government entity) to which the assistance is extended, in the case of assistance to a State or local government;
(i) A college, university, or other postsecondary institution, or a public system of higher education; or
(ii) A local educational agency (as defined in 20 U.S.C. 7801), system of vocational education, or other school system;
(i) An entire corporation, partnership, or other private organization, or an entire sole proprietorship -
(A) If assistance is extended to such corporation, partnership, private organization, or sole proprietorship as a whole; or
(B) Which is principally engaged in the business of providing education, health care, housing, social services, or parks and recreation; or
(ii) The entire plant or other comparable, geographically separate facility to which Federal financial assistance is extended, in the case of any other corporation, partnership, private organization, or sole proprietorship; or
(4) Any other entity which is established by two or more of the entities described in paragraph (e)(1), (2), or (3) of this section.
(f) Recipient may mean any State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, a territory or possession of the United States, or any political subdivision thereof, or instrumentality thereof, any public or private agency, institution, or organization, or other entity, or any individual in any State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or territory or possession of the United States, to whom Federal financial assistance is extended, directly or through another recipient, including any successor, assignee, or transferee thereof, but the term does not include any ultimate beneficiary.
(g) Director means the Director of ACTION or any person to whom he has delegated his authority in the matter concerned.