45 CFR 1302.30 - Procedure for identification of alternative agency.
(a) An Indian tribe whose Head Start grant has been terminated, or which has been denied refunding as a Head Start grantee, may identify an agency and request the responsible HHS official to designate such agency as an alternative agency to provide Head Start services to the tribe if:
(1) The tribe was the only agency that was receiving federal financial assistance to provide Head Start services to members of the tribe; and
(2) The tribe would be otherwise precluded from providing such services to its members because of the termination or denial of refunding.
(1) The responsible HHS official, when notifying a tribal grantee of the intent to terminate financial assistance or deny its application for refunding, must notify the grantee that it may identify an agency and request that the agency serve as the alternative agency in the event that the grant is terminated or refunding denied.
(2) The tribe must identify the alternate agency to the responsible HHS official, in writing, within the time for filing an appeal under 45 CFR Part 1303.
(3) The responsible HHS official will notify the tribe, in writing, whether the alternative agency proposed by the tribe is found to be eligible for Head Start funding and capable of operating a Head Start program. If the alternative agency identified by the tribe is not an eligible agency capable of operating a Head Start program, the tribe will have 15 days from the date of the sending of the notification to that effect from the responsible HHS official to identify another agency and request that the agency be designated. The responsible HHS official will notify the tribe in writing whether the second proposed alternate agency is found to be an eligible agency capable of operating the Head Start program.
(4) If the tribe does not identify a suitable alternative agency, a replacement grantee will be designated under these regulations.
(c) If the tribe appeals a termination of financial assistance or a denial of refunding, it will, consistent with the terms of 45 CFR Part 1303, continue to be funded pending resolution of the appeal. However, the responsible HHS official and the grantee will proceed with the steps outlined in this regulation during the appeal process.
(d) If the tribe does not identify an agency and request that the agency be appointed as the alternative agency, the responsible HHS official will seek a permanent replacement grantee under these regulations.
Title 45 published on 2014-10-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 45 CFR Part 1302 after this date.