45 CFR 160.408 - Factors considered in determining the amount of a civil money penalty.
In determining the amount of any civil money penalty, the Secretary will consider the following factors, which may be mitigating or aggravating as appropriate:
(a) The nature and extent of the violation, consideration of which may include but is not limited to:
(1) The number of individuals affected; and
(2) The time period during which the violation occurred;
(b) The nature and extent of the harm resulting from the violation, consideration of which may include but is not limited to:
(1) Whether the violation caused physical harm;
(2) Whether the violation resulted in financial harm;
(3) Whether the violation resulted in harm to an individual's reputation; and
(c) The history of prior compliance with the administrative simplification provisions, including violations, by the covered entity or business associate, consideration of which may include but is not limited to:
(1) Whether the current violation is the same or similar to previous indications of noncompliance;
(e) Such other matters as justice may require.
Title 45 published on 2015-11-20
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 45 CFR Part 160 after this date.
Title 45 published on 2015-11-20.
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 45.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.