46 CFR 11.516 - Service requirements for third assistant engineer of steam and/or motor vessels.
(a) The minimum service required to qualify an applicant for endorsement as third assistant engineer of steam, motor, and/or gas turbine-propelled vessels is -
(1) Three years of service in the engineroom of vessels, 2 years of which must have been as a qualified member of the engine department or equivalent position;
(2) Three years of service as an apprentice to the machinist trade engaged in the construction or repair of marine, locomotive, or stationary engines, together with 1 year of service in the engineroom as oiler, fireman/watertender, or junior engineer;
(3) Graduation from -
(i) The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (engineering curriculum);
(ii) The U.S. Coast Guard Academy and completion of an onboard engineer officer qualification program required by the service;
(iii) The U.S. Naval Academy and completion of an onboard engineer officer qualification program required by the service; or
(iv) The engineering class of a Maritime Academy approved by and conducted under the rules prescribed by the Maritime Administrator and listed in part 310 of this title;
(4) Graduation from the marine engineering course of a school of technology accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, together with 3 months of service in the engine department of steam, motor, or gas turbine-propelled vessels;
(5) Graduation from the mechanical or electrical engineering course of a school of technology accredited by the ABET, together with 6 months of service in the engine department of steam, motor, or gas turbine-propelled vessels;
(6) Satisfactory completion of a comprehensive apprentice engineers training program approved by the Coast Guard; or
(7) One year of service as assistant engineer (limited) of self-propelled vessels and completion of the appropriate examination described in subpart I of this part.
(b) Experience gained in the deck department on vessels of 100 GRT or more can be credited for up to 3 months of the service requirements under paragraph (a)(1) of this section.
(c) A person holding this endorsement may qualify for an STCW endorsement, according to §§ 11.327, 11.329, and 11,333 of this part.
Title 46 published on 2015-10-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 46 CFR Part 11 after this date.