46 CFR 115.114 - Alternative requirements for a vessel operating as other than a small passenger vessel.
(a) When authorized by the cognizant OCMI by an endorsement of the vessel's Certificate of Inspection, a small passenger vessel carrying six or less passengers, or operating as a commercial fishing vessel or other uninspected vessel, or carrying less than twelve passengers and operating as a recreational vessel, need not meet requirements of:
(1) Subparts C, D, and E, of part 117 of this chapter if the vessel is in satisfactory compliance with the lifesaving equipment regulations for an uninspected vessel or recreational vessel in similar service;
(2) Subpart C of part 116 of this chapter and subchapter S of this chapter if the vessel is in satisfactory compliance with applicable regulations for an uninspected vessel or recreational vessel in a similar service or if the owner of the vessel otherwise establishes to the satisfaction of the cognizant OCMI that the vessel is seaworthy for the intended service; and
(3) Sections 121.404, 121.408, and 121.410 of this subchapter providing the vessel is in satisfactory compliance with any navigational equipment requirements for an uninspected or recreational vessel in a similar service.
(3) When carrying from one to six passengers except for a vessel being operated as a recreational vessel, make the announcement required by § 122.506(a) of this subchapter before getting underway; and
(4) If a vessel of more than 15 gross tons, not carry freight for hire.