46 CFR 115.650 - Alternative Hull Examination (AHE) Program options: Divers or underwater ROV.
To complete your underwater survey, you may use divers or an underwater remotely operated vehicle (ROV).
(a) If you use divers to conduct the underwater survey, you must -
(2) Provide permanent hull markings, a temporary grid system of wires or cables spaced not more than 10 feet apart and tagged at one-foot intervals, or any other acoustic or electronic positioning system approved by the OCMI to identify the diver's location with respect to the hull, within one foot of accuracy;
(3) Take ultrasonic thickness gaugings at a minimum of 5 points on each plate, evenly spaced;
(4) Take hull plating thickness gaugings along transverse belts at the bow, stern, and midships, as a minimum. Plating thickness gaugings must also be taken along a longitudinal belt at the wind and water strake. Individual gaugings along the transverse and longitudinal belts must be spaced no more than 3 feet apart;
(5) Ensure the third party examiner observes the entire underwater examination process;
(7) Use appropriate equipment, such as a clear box, if underwater visibility is poor, to provide the camera with a clear view of the hull.
(b) You may use an underwater ROV to conduct the underwater survey. The underwater ROV operating team, survey process and equipment, quality assurance methods, and the content and format of the survey report must be accepted by the Officer in Charge, Marine Inspection (OCMI) prior to conducting the survey. If you choose this option, you must -
(2) Employ divers to examine any sections of the hull and appurtenances that the underwater ROV cannot access or is otherwise unable to evaluate; and
(3) If the OCMI determines that the data obtained by the ROV, including non-destructive testing results, readability of the results, and positioning standards, will not integrate into the data obtained by the divers, then a third party examiner must be present during the divers portion of the examination.
Title 46 published on 09-May-2017 04:27
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 46 CFR Part 115 after this date.