46 CFR 160.072-3 - General performance requirements.
(a) Each flag must:
(1) Be a square or rectangle at least 90 cm (36 inches) wide and at least 90 cm (36 inches) long. If the flag is a rectangle, the shorter side cannot be less than 2/3 the length of the longer side;
(2) Have no less than 70% of the total area colored a bright red-orange color;
(3) Display a black disc and a black square on the red-orange background on both sides arranged as follows:
(i) The diameter of the disc and the length of one side of the square shall be equal, and shall each be 1/3 of the length of the longest side of the flag, or 30 cm (12 inches), whichever is greater.
(ii) The disc and square must be centered on one axis of the flag parallel to the longest side of the flag as shown in Figure 160.072-3. If the flag is a square, the axis may be parallel to any side.
(iii) The disc and square shall be separated by a distance of 1/6 the length of the longest side of the flag or 15 cm (6 inches), whichever is greater.
(4) Be capable of passing the accelerated weathering test of § 160.072-5;
(5) Have reinforced corners, each with a grommet; and,
(6) Be packaged with 4 pieces of line, with a tensile strength of at least 225 N (Newtons) (50 lbs) no less than 30 cm (12 inches) long, capable of passing through the grommets freely.