46 CFR § 161.013-3 - General performance requirements.
(a) Each electric light must:
(1) Emit a white light which meets the intensity requirements of § 161.013-5;
(2) Be capable of automatic signaling in a manner which meets the requirements of § 161.013-7;
(3) Contain an independent power source which meets the requirements of § 161.013-9;
(4) Float in fresh water with the lens surface at or above the surface of the water;
(5) Be equipped with a waterproof switch; and
(6) Meet the requirement of paragraphs (a) (1) through (4) of this section after floating for at least 72 hours followed by submersion in 5% by weight sodium chloride solution for at least 2 hours.
(b) The electric light may not be equipped with a switch mechanism which permits continuous display of a beam of light except that the light may be equipped with a switch which returns to the off position when pressure is released.