46 CFR 169.103 - Applicability.
(a) This subchapter applies to each domestic vessel operating as a sailing school vessel.
(b) This subchapter does not apply to -
(1) Any vessel operating exclusively on inland waters, which are not navigable waters of the United States;
(2) Any vessel while laid up, dismantled, and out of service;
(3) Any vessel with title vested in the United States and which is used for public purposes except vessels of the U.S. Maritime Administration;
(4) Any vessel carrying one or more passengers;
(5) Any vessel operating under the authority of a current valid certificate of inspection issued per the requirements of 46 CFR chapter I, subchapter H or T, 46 CFR parts 70 through 78 and parts 175 through 187, respectively; or
(6) Any foreign vessel.
(c) A vessel which engages in trade or commerce or carries one or more passengers, cannot operate under a certificate of inspection as a sailing school vessel, but must meet the rules and regulations governing the service in which it is engaged.