46 CFR 176.625 - Eligibility requirements for the Alternative Hull Examination (AHE) Program for certain passenger vessels.
(1) It is constructed of steel or aluminum;
(2) It has an effective hull protection system;
(3) It has operated exclusively in fresh water since its last drydock examination;
(4) It operates in rivers or protected lakes; and
(5) It operates exclusively in shallow water or within 0.5 nautical miles from shore.
(b) In addition to the requirements in paragraph (a), the Officer in Charge, Marine Inspection (OCMI) will evaluate the following information when determining your vessel's eligibility for the AHE Program:
(1) The overall condition of the vessel, based on its inspection history.
(2) The vessel's history of hull casualties and hull-related deficiencies.
(c) When reviewing a vessel's eligibility for the AHE program, the OCMI may modify the standards given by paragraph (a)(5) of this section where it is considered safe and reasonable to do so. In making this determination, the OCMI will consider the vessel's overall condition, its history of safe operation, and any other factors that serve to mitigate overall safety risks.