46 CFR § 185.506 - Passenger safety orientation.
(a) Except as allowed by paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, before getting underway on a voyage or as soon as practicable thereafter, the master of a vessel shall ensure that suitable public announcements are made informing all passengers of the following:
(1) The location of emergency exits, survival craft embarkation areas, and ring life buoys;
(2) The stowage location(s) of life jackets;
(4) The location of the instruction placards for life jackets and other lifesaving devices;
(1) Prior to getting underway, deliver to each passenger or, on a vessel that does not carry vehicles and that has seats for each passenger, place near each seat, a card or pamphlet that has the information listed in paragraphs (a)(1) through (a)(6) of this section; and
(2) Make an abbreviated announcement consisting of:
(ii) The location of life jackets; and
(iii) That further information concerning emergency procedures including the donning of life jackets, location of other emergency equipment, and emergency evacuation procedures are located on the card or pamphlet that was given to each passenger or is located near each seat.
(c) Ferries operating on short runs of less than 15 minutes may substitute bulkhead placards or signs for the announcement required in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section if the OCMI determines that the announcements are not practical due to the vessel's unique operation.
(d) The master of a vessel shall ensure that a passenger, who boards the vessel on a voyage after the initial public announcement has been made as required by paragraphs (a) or (b) of this section, is also informed of the required safety information.
(e) On a vessel on a voyage of more than 24 hours duration, passengers shall be requested to don life jackets and go to the appropriate embarkation station during the safety orientation. If only a small number of passengers embark at a port after the original muster has been held, these passengers must be given the passenger safety orientation required by paragraphs (a) or (b) of this section if another muster is not held.