46 CFR 503.21 - Mandatory public records.
(a) The Commission, as required by the Freedom of Information Act, 5 U.S.C. 552, shall make the following materials available for public inspection and copying:
(1) Final opinions (including concurring and dissenting opinions) and all orders made in the adjudication of cases.
(2) Those statements of policy and interpretations which have been adopted by the Commission.
(3) Administrative staff manuals and instructions to staff that affect any member of the public.
(4) Copies of all records, regardless of form or format, which have been released to any person pursuant to a Freedom of Information Act request, and which the Secretary determines have become or are likely to become the subject of subsequent requests for substantially the same records, and a general index of such records.
(b) To prevent unwarranted invasion of personal privacy, the Secretary may delete identifying details when it makes available or publishes an opinion, statement of policy, interpretation, staff manual, instruction, or copies of records referred to in paragraph (a)(4) of this section. In each case, the justification for the deletion shall be explained fully in writing, and the extent of such deletion shall be indicated on that portion of the record which is made available or published, unless including that indication would harm an interest protected by an exemption in § 503.33 under which the deletion is made. If technically feasible, the extent of the deletion shall be indicated at the place in the record where the deletion was made.
(c) The Commission maintains and makes available for public inspection and copying a current index providing identifying information for the public as to any matter which is issued, adopted, or promulgated, and which is required by paragraph (a) of this section to be made available or published.
(1) The index shall be available at the Office of the Secretary, Federal Maritime Commission, Washington, DC 20573. Publication of such indices has been determined by the Commission to be unnecessary and impracticable. The indices shall, nonetheless, be provided to any member of the public at a cost not in excess of the direct cost of duplication of any such index upon request therefor.
(2) No final order, opinion, statement of policy, interpretation, or staff manual or instruction that affects any member of the public will be relied upon, used, or cited as precedent by the Commission against any private party unless:
(i) It has been indexed and either made available or published as provided by this subpart; or
(ii) That private party shall have actual and timely notice of the terms thereof.
(d) Duplication of records may be subject to fees as prescribed in subpart E of this part.
Title 46 published on 2014-10-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 46 CFR Part 503 after this date.