46 CFR 78.21-1 - Data required.
prev | next
For each ocean and coastwise vessel of 1,600 gross tons and over, the following apply:
(a) The following maneuvering information must be prominently displayed in the pilothouse on a fact sheet:
(1) For full and half speed, a turning circle diagram to port and starboard that shows the time and the distance of advance and transfer required to alter the course 90 degrees with maximum rudder angle and constant power settings.
(2) The time and distance to stop the vessel from full and half speed while maintaining approximately the initial heading with minimum application of rudder.
(3) For each vessel with a fixed propeller, a table of shaft revolutions per minute for a representative range of speeds.
(4) For each vessel with a controllable pitch propeller a table of control settings for a representative range of speeds.
(5) For each vessel that is fitted with an auxiliary device to assist in maneuvering, such as a bow thruster, a table of vessel speeds at which the auxiliary device is effective in maneuvering the vessel.
(b) The maneuvering information must be provided in the normal load and normal light condition with normal trim for a particular condition of loading assuming the following—
The response of the (name of the vessel) may be different from those listed above if any of the following conditions, upon which the maneuvering information is based, are varied:
(1) Calm weather—wind 10 knots or less, calm sea;
(2) No current;
(3) Water depth twice the vessel's draft or greater;
(4) Clean hull; and
(5) Intermediate drafts or unusual trim.
(2) Modified six months after the vessel is placed into service and verified within three months thereafter.
(5) Information established from another vessel of similar hull form, power, rudder and propeller; or
The accuracy of the information in the fact sheet required is that attainable by ordinary shipboard navigation equipment.
(f) The requirements for information for fact sheets for specialized craft such as semi-submersibles, hydrofoils, hovercraft and other vessels of unusual design will be specified on a case by case basis.
[CGD 73-78, 40 FR 2689, Jan. 15, 1975, as amended by CGD 79-165a, 45 FR 64189, Sept. 29, 1980]
Title 46 published on 2014-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.