46 CFR 97.90-1 - Pilot boarding operation.
prev | next
(2) Each damaged step or spreader step on a pilot ladder must be replaced in kind with an approved replacement step or spreader step, prior to further use of the ladder. The replacement step or spreader step must be secured by the method used in the original construction of the ladder, and in accordance with manufacturer instructions.
(2) The pilot boarding equipment must rest firmly against the hull of the vessel and be clear of overboard discharges.
(3) Two man ropes, a safety line and an approved lifebuoy with an approved water light must be at the point of access and be immediately available for use during boarding operations.
(4) Rigging of the equipment and embarkation/debarkation of a pilot must be supervised in person by a deck officer.
(5) Both the equipment over the side and the point of access must be adequately lit during night operations.
(6) If a pilot hoist is used, a pilot ladder must be kept on deck adjacent to the hoist and available for immediate use.
[CGD 79-032, 49 FR 25455, June 21, 1984]
Title 46 published on 2014-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.