47 CFR 11.56 - Obligation to process CAP-formatted EAS messages.
(a) On or by June 30, 2012, EAS Participants must have deployed operational equipment that is capable of the following:
(1) Acquiring EAS alert messages in accordance with the monitoring requirements in § 11.52(d)(2);
(2) Converting EAS alert messages that have been formatted pursuant to the Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards (OASIS) Common Alerting Protocol Version 1.2 (July 1, 2010), and Common Alerting Protocol, v. 1.2 USA Integrated Public Alert and Warning System Profile Version 1.0 (Oct. 13, 2009), into EAS alert messages that comply with the EAS Protocol, such that the Preamble and EAS Header Codes, audio Attention Signal, audio message, and Preamble and EAS End of Message (EOM) Codes of such messages are rendered equivalent to the EAS Protocol (set forth in § 11.31), in accordance with the technical specifications governing such conversion process set forth in the EAS-CAP Industry Group's (ECIG) Recommendations for a CAP EAS Implementation Guide, Version 1.0 (May 17, 2010) (except that any and all specifications set forth therein related to gubernatorial “must carry” shall not be followed, and that EAS Participants may adhere to the specifications related to text-to-speech on a voluntary basis).
(3) Processing such converted messages in accordance with the other sections of this part.
(b) EAS Participants may comply with the requirements of this section by deploying an Intermediary Device. If an EAS Participant elects to meet the requirements of this section by deploying an Intermediary Device, it shall be required to construct visual messages from CAP-formatted EAS messages in accordance with § 3.6 of the “ECIG Recommendations for a CAP EAS Implementation Guide, Version 1.0” (May 17, 2010), as set forth in §§ 11.51(d), (g)(3), (h)(3), and (j)(2) of this part, on or by June 30, 2015.
(c) The standards required in this section are incorporated by reference into this section with the approval of the Director of the Federal Register under 5 U.S.C. 552(a) and 1 1 CFR part 51. To enforce any edition other than that specified in this section, the Federal Communications Commission must publish notice of change in the Federal Register and the material must be available to the public. All approved material is available for inspection at the Federal Communications Commission, 445 12th Street SW., Washington, DC (Reference Information Center) and is available from the sources indicated below. It is also available for inspection at the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). For information on the availability of this material at NARA, call 202-741-6030 or go to http://www.archives.gov/federal_register/code_of_federal_regulations/ibr_locations.html.
(1) The following standard is available from the EAS-CAP Industry Group (ECIG), 21010 Southbank Street, #365, Sterling, VA 20165, or go to http://www.eas-cap.org.
(i) “ECIG Recommendations for a CAP EAS Implementation Guide, Version 1.0” (May 17, 2010).
(2) The following standards are available from Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards (OASIS), 25 Corporate Drive, Suite 103, Burlington, MA 01803-4238, call 781-425-5073, or go to http://www.oasis-open.org.
(i) “Common Alerting Protocol Version 1.2” (July 1, 2010).
(ii) “Common Alerting Protocol, v. 1.2 USA Integrated Public Alert and Warning System Profile Version 1.0” (Oct. 13, 2009).
Title 47 published on 09-May-2017 04:29
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 47 CFR Part 11 after this date.