47 CFR 64.1501 - Definitions.
For purposes of this subpart, the following definitions shall apply:
(a) Pay-per-call service means any service:
(1) In which any person provides or purports to provide:
(i) Audio information or audio entertainment produced or packaged by such person;
(ii) Access to simultaneous voice conversation services; or
(iii) Any service, including the provision of a product, the charges for which are assessed on the basis of the completion of the call;
(2) For which the caller pays a per-call or per-time-interval charge that is greater than, or in addition to, the charge for transmission of the call; and
(3) Which is accessed through use of a 900 number;
(4) Provided, however, such term does not include directory services provided by a common carrier or its affiliate or by a local exchange carrier or its affiliate, or any service for which users are assessed charges only after entering into a presubscription or comparable arrangement with the provider of such service.
(b) Presubscription or comparable arrangement means a contractual agreement in which:
(1) The service provider clearly and conspicuously discloses to the consumer all material terms and conditions associated with the use of the service, including the service provider's name and address, a business telephone number which the consumer may use to obtain additional information or to register a complaint, and the rates for the service;
(2) The service provider agrees to notify the consumer of any future rate changes;
(3) The consumer agrees to use the service on the terms and conditions disclosed by the service provider; and
(4) The service provider requires the use of an identification number or other means to prevent unauthorized access to the service by nonsubscribers;
(5) Provided, however, that disclosure of a credit, prepaid account, debit, charge, or calling card number, along with authorization to bill that number, made during the course of a call to an information service shall constitute a presubscription or comparable arrangement if an introductory message containing the information specified in § 64.1504(c)(2) is provided prior to, and independent of, assessment of any charges. No other action taken by a consumer during the course of a call to an information service, for which charges are assessed, can create a presubscription or comparable arrangement.
(6) Provided, that a presubscription arrangement to obtain information services provided by means of a toll-free number shall conform to the requirements of § 64.1504(c).
(c) Calling card means an identifying number or code unique to the individual, that is issued to the individual by a common carrier and enables the individual to be charged by means of a phone bill for charges incurred independent of where the call originates.
Title 47 published on 2014-10-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 47 CFR Part 64 after this date.