47 CFR 64.710 - Operator services for prison inmate phones.
(a) Each provider of inmate operator services shall:
(1) Identify itself and disclose, audibly and distinctly to the consumer, at no charge and before connecting any interstate, non-access code operator service call, how to obtain the total cost of the call, including any surcharge or premises-imposed-fee. The oral disclosure required in this paragraph shall instruct consumers that they may obtain applicable rate and surcharge quotations either, at the option of the provider of inmate operator services, by dialing no more than two digits or by remaining on the line. The phrase “total cost of the call,” as used in this paragraph, means both the variable (duration-based) charges for the call and the total per-call charges, exclusive of taxes, that the carrier, or its billing agent, may collect from the consumer for the call. Such phrase shall include any per-call surcharge imposed by the correctional institution, unless it is subject to regulation itself as a common carrier for imposing such surcharges, if the contract between the carrier and the correctional institution prohibits both resale and the use of pre-paid calling card arrangements.
(2) Permit the consumer to terminate the telephone call at no charge before the call is connected; and
(3) Disclose immediately to the consumer, upon request and at no charge to the consumer -
(i) The methods by which its rates or charges for the call will be collected; and
(ii) The methods by which complaints concerning such rates, charges or collection practices will be resolved.
(b) As used in this subpart:
(1) Consumer means the party to be billed for any interstate call from an inmate telephone;
(2) Inmate telephone means a telephone instrument set aside by authorities of a prison or other correctional institution for use by inmates.
(3) Inmate operator services means any interstate telecommunications service initiated from an inmate telephone that includes, as a component, any automatic or live assistance to a consumer to arrange for billing or completion, or both, of an interstate telephone call through a method other than:
(i) Automatic completion with billing to the telephone from which the call originated; or
(ii) Completion through an access code used by the consumer, with billing to an account previously established with the carrier by the consumer;
(4) Provider of inmate operator services means any common carrier that provides outbound interstate operator services from inmate telephones.
Title 47 published on 2014-10-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 47 CFR Part 64 after this date.