47 CFR 76.59 - Modification of television markets.
(a) The Commission, following a written request from a broadcast station, cable system, satellite carrier or county government (only with respect to satellite modifications), may deem that the television market, as defined either by § 76.55(e) or § 76.66(e), of a particular commercial television broadcast station should include additional communities within its television market or exclude communities from such station's television market. In this respect, communities may be considered part of more than one television market.
(1) A map or maps illustrating the relevant community locations and geographic features, station transmitter sites, cable system headend or satellite carrier local receive facility locations, terrain features that would affect station reception, mileage between the community and the television station transmitter site, transportation routes and any other evidence contributing to the scope of the market.
(2) Noise-limited service contour maps (for full-power digital stations) or protected contour maps (for Class A and low power television stations) delineating the station's technical service area and showing the location of the cable system headends or satellite carrier local receive facilities and communities in relation to the service areas.
Service area maps using Longley-Rice (version 1.2.2) propagation curves may also be included to support a technical service exhibit.
(3) Available data on shopping and labor patterns in the local market.
(4) Television station programming information derived from station logs or the local edition of the television guide.
(5) Cable system or satellite carrier channel line-up cards or other exhibits establishing historic carriage, such as television guide listings.
(6) Published audience data for the relevant station showing its average all day audience (i.e., the reported audience averaged over Sunday-Saturday, 7 a.m.-1 a.m., or an equivalent time period) for both multichannel video programming distributor (MVPD) and non-MVPD households or other specific audience indicia, such as station advertising and sales data or viewer contribution records.
(7) If applicable, a statement that the station is licensed to a community within the same state as the relevant community.
(c) Petitions for Special Relief to modify television markets that do not include such evidence shall be dismissed without prejudice and may be refiled at a later date with the appropriate filing fee.
(d) A cable operator or satellite carrier shall not delete from carriage the signal of a commercial television station during the pendency of any proceeding pursuant to this section.
(e) A market determination under this section shall not create additional carriage obligations for a satellite carrier if it is not technically and economically feasible for such carrier to accomplish such carriage by means of its satellites in operation at the time of the determination.
(f) No modification of a commercial television broadcast station's local market pursuant to this section shall have any effect on the eligibility of households in the community affected by such modification to receive distant signals from a satellite carrier pursuant to 47 U.S.C. 339.
- 47 CFR 76.5 — Definitions.
- 47 CFR 76.79 — Records Available for Public Inspection.
- 47 CFR 76.66 — Satellite Broadcast Signal Carriage.
- 47 CFR 76.1506 — Carriage of Television Broadcast Signals.
- 47 CFR 76.55 — Definitions Applicable to the Must-Carry Rules.
- 47 CFR 0.408 — OMB Control Numbers and Expiration Dates Assigned Pursuant to the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995.