47 CFR 80.1073 - Radio operator requirements for ship stations.
(a) Ships must carry at least two persons holding GMDSS Radio Operator's Licenses as specified in § 13.7 of this chapter for distress and safety radiocommunications purposes. The GMDSS Radio Operator's License qualifies personnel as a GMDSS radio operator for the purposes of operating a GMDSS radio installation, including basic equipment adjustments as denoted in the knowledge requirements specified in § 13.203 of this chapter.
(1) A qualified GMDSS radio operator must be designated to have primary responsibility for radiocommunications during distress incidents, except if the vessel operates exclusively within twenty nautical miles of shore, in which case a qualified restricted radio operator may be so designated.
(2) A second qualified GMDSS radio operator must be designated as backup for distress and safety radiocommunications, except if the vessel operates exclusively within twenty nautical miles of shore, in which case a qualified restricted GMDSS radio operator may be so designated.
(b) A qualified GMDSS radio operator, and a qualified backup, as specified in paragraph (a) of this section must be:
(1) Available to act as the dedicated radio operator in cases of distress as described in § 80.1109(a);
(2) Designated to perform as part of normal routine each of the applicable communications described in § 80.1109(b);
(3) Responsible for selecting HF DSC guard channels and receiving scheduled maritime safety information broadcasts;
(4) Designated to perform communications described in § 80.1109(c);
(5) Responsible for ensuring that the watches required by § 80.1123 are properly maintained; and
(6) Responsible for ensuring that the ship's navigation position is entered into all installed DSC equipment, either automatically through a connected or integral navigation receiver, or manually at least every four hours when the ship is underway.
Title 47 published on 2014-10-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 47 CFR Part 80 after this date.