47 CFR 90.423 - Operation on board aircraft.
(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b), (c), and (d) of this section, and except as may be provided in other sections of this part with respect to operation on specific frequencies, mobile stations first authorized after September 14, 1973, under this part may be operated aboard aircraft for air-to-mobile, air-to-base, air-to-air and air-to-ship communications subject to the following:
(1) Operations are limited to aircraft that are regularly flown at altitudes below 1.6 km (1 mi) above the earth's surface;
(2) Transmitters are to operate with an output power not to exceed ten watts;
(3) Operations are secondary to land-based systems;
(4) Such other conditions, including additonal reductions of altitude and power limitations, as may be required to minimize the interference potential to land-based systems.
(b) Exceptions to the altitude and power limitations set forth in paragraph (a) of this section may be authorized upon a showing of unusual operational requirements which justify departure from those standards, provided that the interference potential to regular land-based operations would not be increased.
(c) Mobile operations aboard aircraft in the services governed by this part, under licenses in effect September 14, 1973, may be continued without regard to provisions of paragraph (a) of this section, as follows:
(1) Operations may be continued only for the balance of the term of such licenses if aircraft involved are regularly flown at altitudes greater than 1.6 km (1 mi) above the earth's surface.
(2) Operations may be continued for one additional renewal license term if the aircraft involved are regularly flown at altitudes below 1.6 km (1 mi) above the earth's surface.
(d) Operation of radiolocation mobile stations may be authorized without regard to limitations and conditions set forth in paragraphs (a), (b), and (c) of this section.
Title 47 published on 2014-10-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 47 CFR Part 90 after this date.