48 CFR § 32.603 - Debt determination.
(a) If the contracting officer has any indication that a contractor owes money to the Government under a contract, the contracting officer shall determine promptly whether an actual debt is due and the amount. Any unnecessary delay may contribute to -
(1) Loss of timely availability of the funds to the program for which the funds were initially provided;
(2) Increased difficulty in collecting the debt; or
(3) Actual monetary loss to the Government.
(b) The amount of indebtedness determined by the contracting officer shall be an amount that -
(1) Is based on the merits of the case; and
(2) Is consistent with the contract terms.