48 CFR 35.017-4 - Reviewing FFRDC's.
(a) The sponsor, prior to extending the contract or agreement with an FFRDC, shall conduct a comprehensive review of the use and need for the FFRDC. The review will be coordinated with any co-sponsors and may be performed in conjunction with the budget process. If the sponsor determines that its sponsorship is no longer appropriate, it shall apprise other agencies which use the FFRDC of the determination and afford them an opportunity to assume sponsorship.
(b) Approval to continue or terminate the sponsorship shall rest with the head of the sponsoring agency. This determination shall be based upon the results of the review conducted in accordance with paragraph (c) of this subsection.
(c) An FFRDC review should include the following:
(1) An examination of the sponsor's special technical needs and mission requirements that are performed by the FFRDC to determine if and at what level they continue to exist.
(2) Consideration of alternative sources to meet the sponsor's needs.
(3) An assessment of the efficiency and effectiveness of the FFRDC in meeting the sponsor's needs, including the FFRDC's ability to maintain its objectivity, independence, quick response capability, currency in its field(s) of expertise, and familiarity with the needs of its sponsor.
(4) An assessment of the adequacy of the FFRDC management in ensuring a cost-effective operation.
(5) A determination that the criteria for establishing the FFRDC continue to be satisfied and that the sponsoring agreement is in compliance with 35.017-1.
Title 48 published on 2014-10-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 48 CFR Part 35 after this date.