6.202Establishing or maintaining alternative sources.
(a) Agencies may exclude a particular source from a contract action in order to establish or maintain an alternative source or sources for the supplies or services being acquired if the agency head determines that to do so would—
(1) Increase or maintain competition and likely result in reduced overall costs for the acquisition, or for any anticipated acquisition;
(2) Be in the interest of national defense in having a facility (or a producer, manufacturer, or other supplier) available for furnishing the supplies or services in case of a national emergency or industrial mobilization;
(3) Be in the interest of national defense in establishing or maintaining an essential engineering, research, or development capability to be provided by an educational or other nonprofit institution or a federally funded research and development center;
(4) Ensure the continuous availability of a reliable source of supplies or services;
(5) Satisfy projected needs based on a history of high demand; or
(6) Satisfy a critical need for medical, safety, or emergency supplies.
(1) Every proposed contract action under the authority of paragraph (a) above shall be supported by a determination and findings (D&F) (see subpart 1.7) signed by the head of the agency or designee. This D&F shall not be made on a class basis.
(2) Technical and requirements personnel are responsible for providing all necessary data to support their recommendation to exclude a particular source.
(3) When the authority in (a)(1) above is cited, the findings shall include a description of the estimated reduction in overall costs and how the estimate was derived.
[50 FR 1729, Jan. 11, 1985, as amended at 60 FR 42653, Aug. 16, 1995]
Title 48 published on 2014-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.