49 CFR 1580.103 - Location and shipping information for certain rail cars.
(a)Applicability. This section applies to:
(1) Each freight railroad carrier transporting one or more of the categories and quantities of rail security-sensitive materials.
(2) Each rail hazardous materials shipper.
(b)General requirement. Each person described in paragraph (a) of this section must have procedures in place to determine the location and shipping information for each rail car under its physical custody and control that contains one or more of the categories and quantities of rail security-sensitive materials.
(c)Required information. The location and shipping information required in paragraph (b) of this section must include the following:
(1) The rail car's current location by city, county, and state, including, for freight railroad carriers, the railroad milepost, track designation, and the time that the rail car's location was determined.
(2) The rail car's routing, if a freight railroad carrier.
(3) A list of the total number of rail cars containing the materials listed in § 1580.100(b) of this part, broken down by:
(i) The shipping name prescribed for the material in column 2 of the table in 49 CFR 172.101;
(ii) The hazard class or division number prescribed for the material in column 3 of the table in 49 CFR 172.101; and
(iii) The identification number prescribed for the material in column 4 of the table in 49 CFR 172.101.
(4) Each rail car's initial and number.
(5) Whether the rail car is in a train, rail yard, siding, rail spur, or rail hazardous materials shipper or receiver facility, including the name of the rail yard or siding designation.
(d)Timing-class I freight railroad carriers. Upon request by TSA, each Class I freight railroad carrier described in paragraph (a) of this section must provide the location and shipping information to TSA no later than:
(1) Five minutes if the request concerns only one rail car; and
(2) Thirty minutes if the request concerns two or more rail cars.
(e)Timing-other than class I freight railroad carriers. Upon request by TSA, all persons described in paragraph (a) of this section, other than Class I freight railroad carriers, must provide the location and shipping information to TSA no later than 30 minutes, regardless of the number of cars covered by the request.
(1) Electronic data transmission in spreadsheet format.
(2) Electronic data transmission in Hyper Text Markup Language (HTML) format.
(3) Electronic data transmission in Extensible Markup Language (XML).
(4) Facsimile transmission of a hard copy spreadsheet in tabular format.
(5) Posting the information to a secure website address approved by TSA.
(6) Another format approved by TSA.
(1) The telephone number must be monitored at all times.
(2) A telephone number that requires a call back (such as an answering service, answering machine, or beeper device) does not meet the requirements of this paragraph.
(h)Definition. As used in this section, Class I has the meaning assigned by regulations of the Surface Transportation Board (STB) ( 49 CFR part 1201; General Instructions 1-1).
Title 49 published on 09-May-2017 04:41
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 49 CFR Part 1580 after this date.