49 CFR 173.301a - Additional general requirements for shipment of specification cylinders.
(b)Authorized cylinders not marked with a service pressure. For authorized cylinders not marked with a service pressure, the service pressure is designated as follows:
|Specification marking||Service Pressure psig|
(c)Cylinder pressure at 21 °C (70 °F). The pressure in a cylinder at 21 °C (70 °F) may not exceed the service pressure for which the cylinder is marked or designated, except as provided in § 173.302a(b). For certain liquefied gases, the pressure at 21 °C (70 °F) must be lower than the marked service pressure to avoid having a pressure at a temperature of 55 °C (131 °F) that is greater than permitted.
(1) For a cylinder filled with acetylene, liquefied nitrous oxide, or carbon dioxide.
(3) The pressure at 55 °C (131 °F) of Hazard Zone A and Hazard Zone B materials may not exceed the service pressure of the cylinder. Sufficient outage must be provided so that the cylinder will not be liquid full at 55 °C (131 °F).
(e)Grandfather clause. A cylinder in domestic use prior to the date on which the specification for the cylinder was first made effective may be used if the cylinder has been properly tested and otherwise conforms to the requirements applicable to the gas with which it is charged.
- 49 CFR 173.304 — Filling of Cylinders With Liquefied Compressed Gases.
- 49 CFR 173.301 — General Requirements for Shipment of Compressed Gases and Other Hazardous Materials in Cylinders, UN Pressure Receptacles and Spherical Pressure Vessels.
- 49 CFR 180.209 — Requirements for Requalification of Specification Cylinders.
- 49 CFR 173.302 — Filling of Cylinders With Nonliquefied (Permanent) Compressed Gases or Adsorbed Gases.
- 49 CFR 173.304a — Additional Requirements for Shipment of Liquefied Compressed Gases in Specification Cylinders.