49 CFR 176.104 - Loading and unloading Class 1 (explosive) materials.
(1) A draft may not be raised, lowered, or stopped by sudden application of power or brake.
(3) All drafts, beams, shackles, bridles, slings, and hooks must be manually freed before the winch takes control.
(f) Wire rope or wire rope assemblies, including splices and fittings, used in handling Class 1 (explosive) materials must be unpainted and kept bare to permit inspection of their safe working condition. A mechanical end fitting (pressed fitting) may be used in place of an eye splice, if the efficiency of the mechanical end fitting is at least equal to the efficiency of an eye splice prepared as prescribed in 29 CFR 1918.51(c)(1).
(g) Packages of Division 1.1 and 1.2 materials that are not part of a palletized unit must be loaded and unloaded from a vessel using a chute, conveyor or a mechanical hoist and a pallet, skipboard, tray or pie plate fitted with a cargo net or sideboards.
(2) A cargo net must completely encompass the bottom and sides of the draft. The mesh of the cargo net must be of a size and strength that will prevent a package in the draft from passing through the net.
(i) A landing mat must be used when a draft of nonpalletized Division 1.1 or 1.2 (explosive) materials is deposited on deck. The landing mat must have dimensions of at least l m (3 feet) wide, 2 m (7 feet) long, and 10 cm (3.9 inches) thick, and be made of woven hemp, sisal, or similar fiber, or foam rubber, polyurethane or similar resilient material.
(2) Packages may not be loaded or unloaded from the same hatch by using two pieces of cargo equipment unless the equipment is positioned at the forward and aft ends of the hatch.
(3) Packages may not be lifted over any hazardous materials.
(4) The height of any structure, equipment, or load on a deck over which packages must be lifted may not be higher than the hatch coaming or bulwark, or 1 m (3 feet), whichever is greater.
(l) A chute may not be used when loading or unloading Class 1 (explosive) materials in compatibility group A or B.
Title 49 published on 09-May-2017 04:41
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 49 CFR Part 176 after this date.