§ 176.116General stowage conditions for Class 1 (explosive) materials.
(a)Heat and sources of ignition:
(1) Class 1 (explosive) materials must be stowed in a cool part of the ship and must be kept as cool as practicable while on board. Stowage must be well away from all sources of heat, including steam pipes, heating coils, sparks, and flame.
(2) Except where the consignment of Class 1 (explosive) materials consists only of explosive articles, the wearing of shoes or boots with unprotected metal nails, heels, or tips of any kind is prohibited.
(1) Spaces where Class 1 (explosive) materials are stowed below deck must be dry. In the event of the contents of packages being affected by water when on board immediate advice must be sought from the shippers; pending this advice handling of the packages must be avoided.
(2) Bilges and bilge sections must be examined and any residue of previous cargo removed before Class 1 materials (explosive) are loaded onto the vessel.
(c)Security: All compartments, magazines, and cargo transport units containing Class 1 (explosive) materials must be locked or suitably secured in order to prevent unauthorized access.
(d)Secure stowage: Class 1 (explosive) materials must be securely stowed to prevent shifting in transit; where necessary, precautions must be taken to prevent cargo sliding down between the frames at the ship's sides.
(e)Separation from accommodation spaces and machinery spaces:
(1) Class 1 (explosive) materials must be stowed as far away as practicable from any accommodation spaces or any machinery space and may not be stowed directly above or below such a space. The requirements in paragraphs (e)(2) through (e)(4) of this section are minimum requirements in addition to the applicable requirements of 46 CFR chapter I. Where the requirements of this subpart are less stringent than those of 46 CFR chapter I, the 46 CFR chapter I requirements must be satisfied for ships to which they are applicable.
(2) There must be a permanent A Class steel bulkhead between any accommodation space and any compartment containing Class 1 (explosive) materials. Division 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or 1.5 materials may not be stowed within 3 m (10 feet) of this bulkhead; in the decks immediately above or below an accommodation space they must be stowed at least 3 m (10 feet) from the line of this bulkhead projected vertically.
(3) There must be a permanent A Class steel bulkhead between a compartment containing Class 1 (explosive) materials and any machinery space. Class 1 (explosive) materials, except those in Division 1.4 (explosive), may not be stowed within 3 m (10 feet) of this bulkhead; and in the decks above or below the machinery space they must be stowed at least 3 m (10 feet) from the line of this bulkhead projected vertically. In addition to this separation, there must be insulation to Class A60 standard as defined in 46 CFR 72.05-10(a)(1) if the machinery space is one of Category ‘A’ unless the only Class 1 (explosive) materials carried are in Division 1.4S (explosive).
(4) Where Class 1 (explosive) materials are stowed away from bulkheads bounding any accommodation space or machinery space, the intervening space may be filled with cargo that is not readily combustible.
(f)Under deck stowage of Class 1 (explosive) materials allocated stowage categories 09 and 10:
(1) These Class 1 (explosive) materials must not be stowed in the same compartment or hold with other cargo that is readily combustible (such as items packaged in straw).
(2) The position of stowage of these Class 1 (explosive) materials must be such as to maintain direct access to the hatchway by not overstowing with other cargo except for other Class 1 (explosive) materials.
(3) In all cases, all cargo within the compartment or hold, including Class 1 (explosive) materials stowed in cargo transport units, must be secured so as to eliminate the possibility of significant movement. Where an entire deck is used as a magazine, the stowage must be so arranged that the Class 1 (explosive) materials stowed therein must be removed from the ship before working any cargo in any decks above or below the space in the same hold.