49 CFR 177.823 - Movement of motor vehicles in emergency situations.
(a) A carrier may not move a transport vehicle containing a hazardous material unless the vehicle is marked and placarded in accordance with part 172 or as authorized in § 171.12a of this subchapter, or unless, in an emergency:
(1) The vehicle is escorted by a representative of a state or local government;
(2) The carrier has permission from the Department; or
(b) Disposition of contents of cargo tank when unsafe to continue. In the event of a leak in a cargo tank of such a character as to make further transportation unsafe, the leaking vehicle should be removed from the traveled portion of the highway and every available means employed for the safe disposal of the leaking material by preventing, so far as practicable, its spread over a wide area, such as by digging trenches to drain to a hole or depression in the ground, diverting the liquid away from streams or sewers if possible, or catching the liquid in containers if practicable. Smoking, and any other source of ignition, in the vicinity of a leaking cargo tank is not permitted.
(c) Movement of leaking cargo tanks. A leaking cargo tank may be transported only the minimum distance necessary to reach a place where the contents of the tank or compartment may be disposed of safely. Every available means must be utilized to prevent the leakage or spillage of the liquid upon the highway.
Title 49 published on 2015-10-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 49 CFR Part 177 after this date.
- 36 CFR 7.13 — Yellowstone National Park.
- 49 CFR 397.67 — Motor Carrier Responsibility for Routing.
- 49 CFR 393.95 — Emergency Equipment on All Power Units.
- 49 CFR 382.303 — Post-Accident Testing.
- 49 CFR 390.5 — Definitions.
- 49 CFR 173.320 — Cryogenic Liquids; Exceptions.
- 49 CFR 393.26 — Requirements for Reflectors.
- 49 CFR 397.2 — Compliance With Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.
- 49 CFR 397.13 — Smoking.
- 49 CFR 397.1 — Application of the Rules in This Part.