49 CFR § 192.503 - General requirements.
(2) Each potentially hazardous leak has been located and eliminated.
(1) Compatible with the material of which the pipeline is constructed;
(2) Relatively free of sedimentary materials; and
(3) Except for natural gas, nonflammable.
|Class location||Maximum hoop stress allowed as percentage of SMYS|
|Natural gas||Air or inert gas|
(d) Each joint used to tie in a test segment of pipeline is excepted from the specific test requirements of this subpart, but each non-welded joint must be leak tested at not less than its operating pressure.
(2) The component was manufactured under a quality control system that ensures that each item manufactured is at least equal in strength to a prototype and that the prototype was tested to at least the pressure required for the pipeline to which it is being added; or
(3) The component carries a pressure rating established through applicable ASME/ANSI, Manufacturers Standardization Society of the Valve and Fittings Industry, Inc. (MSS) specifications, or by unit strength calculations as described in § 192.143.