49 CFR 256.13 - Review and approval of applications.
(a) Pre-applications. Pre-applications for demonstration funds shall be reviewed by the Administrator in consultation with the Chairman and the Council.
(b) Applications. The Administrator shall review applications in consultation with the Chairman and the Council and select and monitor projects most likely to accomplish the following goals:
(1) Demonstrate the capabilities of intermodal terminals to provide a more effective means of passenger interchange between various modes of transportation;
(2) Demonstrate the advantages of joint use terminal facilities to carriers;
(3) Demonstrate a more comprehensive and effective network of energy efficient surface common carrier transportation services through improving coordinated interline intermodal exchange at selected intermodal passenger terminals distinguished by coordinated information systems, schedules, and through ticketing and baggage handling;
(4) Evaluate user response to such coordinated interline intermodal transportation services, and to joint carrier use of terminal facilities;
(5) Demonstrate the potential of underutilized railroad passenger terminals of historical and architectural distinction for improving intermodal passenger transportation services and for providing an appropriate focal point for civic and cultural activities;
(6) Stimulate local public and private investment, by transportation carriers and others, in improved intercity and local public transportation facilities and services;
(7) Encourage the preservation of railroad passenger terminals pending the formulation of plans for reuse; and
(8) Encourage the development of plans for the conversion of railroad passenger terminals into intermodal passenger terminals, which may incorporate civic and cultural activities where feasible.
(c) Preferential consideration. In reviewing applications for planning funds, the Administrator shall give preferential consideration to applicants whose completed designs and plans will be implemented and effectuated within three years after the date of completion.
(d) Approval within 90 days. The Administrator will approve or deny each application within 90 days of the submission dates set forth in § 256.11(f)(3) and the Administrator will promptly notify in writing each applicant whose application has been approved.