49 CFR § 381.310 - How do I apply for an exemption?

§ 381.310 How do I apply for an exemption?

(a) You must send a written request (for example, a typed or handwritten (printed) letter), which includes all of the information required by this section, to the Administrator, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave., SE., Washington, DC 20590–0001.

(b) You must identify the person or class of persons who would be covered by the exemption. The application for an exemption must include:

(1) Your name, job title, mailing address, and daytime telephone number;

(2) The name of the individual or motor carrier that would be responsible for the use or operation of CMVs;

(3) Principal place of business for the motor carrier (street address, city, State, and zip code); and

(4) The USDOT identification number for the motor carrier.

(c) You must provide a written statement that:

(1) Describes the reason the exemption is needed, including the time period during which it is needed;

(2) Identifies the regulation from which you would like to be exempted;

(3) Provides an estimate of the total number of drivers and CMVs that would be operated under the terms and conditions of the exemption;

(4) Assesses the safety impacts the exemption may have;

(5) Explains how you would ensure that you could achieve a level of safety that is equivalent to, or greater than, the level of safety that would be obtained by complying with the regulation; and

(6) Describes the impacts (e.g., inability to test innovative safety management control systems, etc.) you could experience if the exemption is not granted by the FMCSA.

(d) Your application must include a copy of all research reports, technical papers, and other publications and documents you reference.

[63 FR 67608, Dec. 8, 1998, as amended at 72 FR 55700, Oct. 1, 2007; 69 FR 29404, May 21, 2004, 78 FR 58479, Sept. 24, 2013]