49 CFR § 383.1 - Purpose and scope.
(a) The purpose of this part is to help reduce or prevent truck and bus accidents, fatalities, and injuries by requiring drivers to have a single commercial motor vehicle driver's license and by disqualifying drivers who operate commercial motor vehicles in an unsafe manner.
(b) This part:
(5) Establishes periods of disqualification and penalties for those persons convicted of certain criminal and other offenses and serious traffic violations, or subject to any suspensions, revocations, or cancellations of certain driving privileges;
(6) Establishes testing and licensing requirements for commercial motor vehicle operators;
(7) Requires States to give knowledge and skills tests to all qualified applicants for commercial drivers' licenses which meet the Federal standard;
(8) Sets forth commercial motor vehicle groups and endorsements;
(9) Sets forth the knowledge and skills test requirements for the motor vehicle groups and endorsements;
(11) Establishes requirements for the State issued commercial license documentation.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.