49 CFR 391.31 - Road test.
(a) Except as provided in subpart G, a person shall not drive a commercial motor vehicle unless he/she has first successfully completed a road test and has been issued a certificate of driver's road test in accordance with this section.
(b) The road test shall be given by the motor carrier or a person designated by it. However, a driver who is a motor carrier must be given the test by a person other than himself/herself. The test shall be given by a person who is competent to evaluate and determine whether the person who takes the test has demonstrated that he/she is capable of operating the commercial motor vehicle, and associated equipment, that the motor carrier intends to assign him/her.
(c) The road test must be of sufficient duration to enable the person who gives it to evaluate the skill of the person who takes it at handling the commercial motor vehicle, and associated equipment, that the motor carriers intends to assign to him/her. As a minimum, the person who takes the test must be tested, while operating the type of commercial motor vehicle the motor carrier intends to assign him/her, on his/her skill at performing each of the following operations:
(1) The pretrip inspection required by § 392.7 of this subchapter;
(2) Coupling and uncoupling of combination units, if the equipment he/she may drive includes combination units;
(3) Placing the commercial motor vehicle in operation;
(5) Operating the commercial motor vehicle in traffic and while passing other motor vehicles;
(6) Turning the commercial motor vehicle;
(7) Braking, and slowing the commercial motor vehicle by means other than braking; and
(8) Backing and parking the commercial motor vehicle.
(d) The motor carrier shall provide a road test form on which the person who gives the test shall rate the performance of the person who takes it at each operation or activity which is a part of the test. After he/she completes the form, the person who gave the test shall sign it.
(f) The form for the certificate of driver's road test is substantially as follows:
This is to certify that the above-named driver was given a road test under my supervision on ______, 20__, consisting of approximately ___ miles of driving.
(g) A copy of the certificate required by paragraph (e) of this section shall be given to the person who was examined. The motor carrier shall retain in the driver qualification file of the person who was examined -
(1) The original of the signed road test form required by paragraph (d) of this section; and
(2) The original, or a copy of, the certificate required by paragraph (e) of this section.
Title 49 published on 16-Dec-2017 04:00
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 49 CFR Part 391 after this date.
- 49 CFR 391.11 — General Qualifications of Drivers.
- 49 CFR 391.33 — Equivalent of Road Test.
- 49 CFR 391.51 — General Requirements for Driver Qualification Files.
- 49 CFR 391.69 — Private Motor Carrier of Passengers (Business).
- 49 CFR 391.49 — Alternative Physical Qualification Standards for the Loss or Impairment of Limbs.