49 CFR § 5.9 - Regulatory Reform Task Force.
(a) Purpose. The Regulatory Reform Task Force (RRTF) evaluates proposed and existing regulations and makes recommendations to the Secretary regarding their promulgation, repeal, replacement, or modification, consistent with applicable law, E.O. 13777, E.O. 13771, and E.O. 12866.
(b) Structure. The RRTF comprises a Leadership Council and a Working Group.
(1) The Working Group coordinates with leadership in the Secretarial offices and OAs, reviews and develops recommendations for regulatory and deregulatory action, and presents recommendations to the Leadership Council.
(2) The Leadership Council reviews the Working Group's recommendations and advises the Secretary.
(1) The Leadership Council comprises the following:
(i) The Regulatory Reform Officer (RRO), who serves as Chair;
(ii) The Department's Regulatory Policy Officer, designated under section 6(a)(2) of E.O. 12866;
(iii) A representative from the Office of the Under Secretary of Transportation for Policy;
(iv) At least three additional senior agency officials as determined by the Secretary.
(2) The Working Group comprises the following:
(i) At least one senior agency official from the Office of the General Counsel, including at a minimum the Assistant General Counsel for Regulation, as determined by the RRO;
(ii) At least one senior agency official from the Office of the Under Secretary of Transportation for Policy, as determined by the RRO;
(iii) Other senior agency officials from the Office of the Secretary, as determined by the RRO.
(d) Functions and responsibilities. In addition to the functions and responsibilities enumerated in E.O. 13777, the RRTF performs the following duties:
(1) Reviews each request for a new rulemaking action initiated by an OA or OST component; and
(2) Considers each regulation and regulatory policy question (which may include proposed guidance documents) referred to it and makes a recommendation to the Secretary for its disposition.
(e) Support. The Office of Regulation within OGC provides support to the RRTF.
(f) Meetings. The Leadership Council meets approximately monthly and will hold specially scheduled meetings when necessary to address particular regulatory matters. The Working Group meets approximately monthly with each OA and each component of OST with regulatory authority, and the Working Group may establish subcommittees, as appropriate, to focus on specific regulatory matters.
(g) Agenda. The Office of Regulation prepares an agenda for each meeting and distributes it to the members in advance of the meeting, together with any documents to be discussed at the meeting. The OA or OST component responsible for matters on the agenda will be invited to attend to respond to questions.
(h) Minutes. The Office of Regulation prepares summary minutes following each meeting and distributes them to the meeting's attendees.