49 CFR 583.9 - Attachment and maintenance of label.
(a) Attachment of the label.
(1) Except as provided in (a)(2), each manufacturer shall cause the label required by § 583.5 to be affixed to each new passenger motor vehicle before the vehicle is delivered to a dealer.
(2) For vehicles which are delivered to a dealer prior to the introduction date for the model in question, each manufacturer shall cause the label required by § 583.5 to be affixed to the vehicle prior to such introduction date.
(b) Maintenance of the label.
(1) Each dealer shall cause to be maintained each label on the new passenger motor vehicles it receives until after such time as a vehicle has been sold to a consumer for purposes other than resale.
(2) If the manufacturer of a passenger motor vehicle provides a substitute label containing corrected information, the dealer shall replace the original label with the substitute label.
(3) If a label becomes damaged so that the information it contains is not legible, the dealer shall replace it with an identical, undamaged label.