5 CFR 180.107 - Claims procedure.

§ 180.107 Claims procedure.

(a)Filing a claim. Claims not exceeding $500 shall be filed with the appropriate bureau or regional director. Claims in excess of $500 shall be filed with the Office of the General Counsel, Office of Personnel Management, 1900 E Street NW., Washington, DC 20415. Claims shall be in writing, using G.C. Form 33 when available, and shall contain as a minimum:

(1) Name, address, and place of employment of the claimant;

(2) Place and date of the damage or loss;

(3) A brief statement of the facts and circumstances surrounding the damage or loss;

(4) Cost, date, and place of acquisition of each piece of property damaged or lost;

(5) Two itemized repair estimates, or value estimates, whichever is applicable;

(6) Copies of police reports, if applicable;

(7) A statement from the claimant's supervisor that the loss was incident to service;

(8) A statement that the property was or was not insured;

(9) With respect to claims involving thefts or losses in quarters or other places where the property was reasonably kept, a statement as to what security precautions were taken to protect the property involved;

(10) With respect to claims involving property being used for the benefit of the Government, a statement by the claimant's supervisor that the claimant was required to provide such property or that the claimant's providing it was in the interest of the Government; and

(11) Other evidence as may be required.

(b)Single claim. A single claim shall be presented for all lost or damaged property resulting from the same incident. If this procedure causes a hardship, the claimant may present an initial claim with notice that it is a partial claim, an explanation of the circumstances causing the hardship, and an estimate of the balance of the claim and the date it will be submitted. Payment may be made on a partial claim if the approving authority determines that a genuine hardship exists.

(c)Claims investigator. When a claim is filed, the appropriate associate or regional director, or the General Counsel, shall appoint a claims investigator to evaluate the claim and make a recommendation as to its disposition. Where the cost to repair damaged property does not exceed $100 per item and the claims investigator has inspected the damaged property, the claimant and the approving authority may agree upon a reasonable amount to be claimed for repair of an individual item in lieu of an independent estimate by a qualified repairman. In such a case, the claims investigator and the approving authority will certify that the property has been examined and that the amount claimed is a reasonable allowance for the cost of the repairs.

(d)Loss in quarters. Claims for property loss in quarters or other authorized places should be accompanied by a statement indicating:

(1) Geographical location;

(2) Whether the quarters were assigned or provided in kind by the Government;

(3) Whether the quarters are regularly occupied by the claimant;

(4) Name of the authority, if any, who designated the place of storage of the property if other than quarters;

(5) Measures taken to protect the property; and

(6) Whether the claimant is a local inhabitant.

(e)Loss by theft or robbery. Claims for property loss by theft or robbery should be accompanied by a statement indicating:

(1) Geographical location;

(2) Facts and circumstances surrounding the loss, including evidence of the crime such as breaking and entering, capture of the thief or robber, or recovery of part of the stolen goods; and

(3) Evidence that the claimant exercised due care in protecting the property prior to the loss, including information as to the degree of care normally exercised in the locale of the loss due to any unusual risks involved.

(f)Transportation losses. Claims for transportation losses should be accompanied by the following:

(1) Copies of orders authorizing the travel, transportation, or shipment or a certificate explaining the absence of orders and stating their substance;

(2) Statement in cases where property was turned over to a shipping officer, supply officer, or contract packer indicating:

(i) Name (or designation) and address of the shipping officer, supply officer, or contract packer;

(ii) Date the property was turned over;

(iii) Inventoried condition when the property was turned over;

(iv) When and where the property was packed and by whom;

(v) Date of shipment;

(vi) Copies of all bills of lading, inventories, and other applicable shipping documents;

(vii) Date and place of delivery to the claimant;

(viii) Date the property was unpacked by the carrier, claimant, or Government;

(ix) Statements of disinterested witnesses as to the condition of the property when received and delivered, or as to handling or storage;

(x) Whether the negligence of any Government employee acting within the scope of his employment caused the damage or loss;

(xi) Whether the last common carrier or local carrier was given a clear receipt, except for concealed damages;

(xii) Total gross, tare, and net weight of shipment;

(xiii) Insurance certificate or policy if losses are privately insured;

(xiv) Copy of the demand on carrier or insured, or both, when required, and the reply, if any;

(xv) Action taken by the claimant to locate missing baggage or household effects, including related correspondence.

(g)Marine or aircraft disaster. Claims for property losses due to marine or aircraft disaster should be accompanied by a copy of orders or other evidence to establish the claimant's right to be, or to have property, on board.

(h)Enemy action, public disaster, or public service. Claims for property losses due to enemy action, public disaster, or public service should be accompanied by:

(1) Copies of orders or other evidence establishing the claimant's required presence in the area involved, and

(2) A detailed statement of facts and circumstances showing an applicable case enumerated in § 180.104(c)(8).

(i)Property used for benefit of Government. Claims for property loss when the property was used for the benefit of the Government should be accompanied by:

(1) A statement from the proper authority that the property was supplied by the claimant in the performance of official business at the request of, or with the knowledge and consent of, superior authority or by reason of necessity; and

(2) If the property being used for the benefit of the Government was damaged or lost while not in use, evidence that the loss occurred in an authorized storage area.

(j)Money. Claims for loss of money deposited for safekeeping, transmittal, or other authorized disposition, should be accompanied by:

(1) Name, grade, and address of the person or persons who received the money and any others involved;

(2) Name and designation of the authority who authorized such person or persons to accept personal funds, and the disposition required; and

(3) Receipts and written sworn statements explaining the failure to account for funds or return them to the claimant.

(k)Motor vehicles in transit. Claims for damage to motor vehicles in transit should be accompanied by a copy of orders or other available evidence to establish the claimant's lawful right to have the property shipped and evidence to establish damage in transit.

[ 43 FR 47163, Oct. 13, 1978, as amended at 44 FR 76747, Dec. 28, 1979]

This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.

This list is taken from the Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules provided by GPO [Government Printing Office].

It is not guaranteed to be accurate or up-to-date, though we do refresh the database weekly. More limitations on accuracy are described at the GPO site.

United States Code
U.S. Code: Title 31 - MONEY AND FINANCE