5 CFR 537.102 - Definitions.
The definitions in this section apply only to part 537. In this part:
Agency has the meaning given that term in subparagraphs (A) through (E) of 5 U.S.C. 4101(1).
Authorized agency official means the head of an Executive agency or an official who is authorized to act for the head of the agency in the matter concerned.
Employee means an employee of an agency who satisfies the definition of the term in 5 U.S.C. 2105.
Loan payment means the net payment made by an agency to the holder of a student loan (after deducting any tax withholdings that may be made from the gross student loan repayment benefit credited to the employee).
Service agreement means a written agreement between an agency and an employee (or job candidate) under which the employee (or job candidate) agrees to a specified period of service in exchange for student loan repayment benefits, subject to the conditions set forth under this part.
Student loan means—
(1) A loan made, insured, or guaranteed under parts B, D or E of title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965; or
(2) A health education assistance loan made or insured under part A of title VII of the Public Health Service Act or under part E of title VIII of that Act.
Student loan repayment benefit means the benefit provided to an employee under this part in which an agency repays (by a direct payment on behalf of the employee) a qualifying student loan as described in § 537.106(b) previously taken out by such employee. The dollar value of this benefit is the gross amount credited to the employee at the time of a loan payment to the holder of the student loan, before deducting any employee tax withholdings from that gross amount as described in § 537.106(a)(6)(iii). A student loan repayment benefit is not considered basic pay for any purpose.
Time-limited appointment means a non-permanent appointment including—
(1) A temporary appointment under5 CFR part 316, subpart D, or similar authority;
(2) A term appointment under5 CFR part 316, subpart C, or similar authority;
(3) An overseas limited appointment with a time limitation under5 CFR part 301, subpart B;
(4) A limited term or limited emergency appointment in the Senior Executive Service, as defined in5 U.S.C. 3132(a), or an equivalent appointment made for similar purposes;
(5) A Veterans Recruitment Appointment under5 CFR part 307;
(6) A Presidential Management Fellows Program appointment under§ 213.3402(c) of this chapter;
(7) A Recent Graduates Program appointment under§ 213.3402(b) of this chapter; and
(8) An appointment under the fellowship and similar programs authority at5 CFR 213.3102(r).
Title 5 published on 2015-01-01.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 5 CFR Part 537.