5 CFR 537.102 - Definitions.
The definitions in this section apply only to part 537. In this part:
Agency has the meaning given that term in subparagraphs (A) through (E) of 5 U.S.C. 4101(1).
Loan payment means the net payment made by an agency to the holder of a student loan (after deducting any tax withholdings that may be made from the gross student loan repayment benefit credited to the employee).
Service agreement means a written agreement between an agency and an employee (or job candidate) under which the employee (or job candidate) agrees to a specified period of service in exchange for student loan repayment benefits, subject to the conditions set forth under this part.
Student loan means -
(1) A loan made, insured, or guaranteed under parts B, D or E of title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965; or
(2) A health education assistance loan made or insured under part A of title VII of the Public Health Service Act or under part E of title VIII of that Act.
Student loan repayment benefit means the benefit provided to an employee under this part in which an agency repays (by a direct payment on behalf of the employee) a qualifying student loan as described in § 537.106(b) previously taken out by such employee. The dollar value of this benefit is the gross amount credited to the employee at the time of a loan payment to the holder of the student loan, before deducting any employee tax withholdings from that gross amount as described in § 537.106(a)(6)(iii). A student loan repayment benefit is not considered basic pay for any purpose.
Time-limited appointment means a non-permanent appointment including -
(1) A temporary appointment under 5 CFR part 316, subpart D, or similar authority;
(2) A term appointment under 5 CFR part 316, subpart C, or similar authority;
(3) An overseas limited appointment with a time limitation under 5 CFR part 301, subpart B;
(4) A limited term or limited emergency appointment in the Senior Executive Service, as defined in 5 U.S.C. 3132(a), or an equivalent appointment made for similar purposes;
(5) A Veterans Recruitment Appointment under 5 CFR part 307;
(6) A Presidential Management Fellows Program appointment under § 213.3402(c) of this chapter;
(7) A Recent Graduates Program appointment under § 213.3402(b) of this chapter; and
(8) An appointment under the fellowship and similar programs authority at 5 CFR 213.3102(r).
Title 5 published on 13-Apr-2017 04:01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 5 CFR Part 537 after this date.